Monday, July 28, 2008

Eco-Healthy Baby Books


Good Morning Moms,

Today I'd like to introduce all of you to a book I have recently completed called, Healthy Child Healthy World: Creating a Cleaner, Greener, Safer Home by Christopher Gavigan, CEO of the nation's leading nonprofit for children's environmental health - Healthy Child Healthy World / www.healthychild.org.

I understand that for many moms out there finding time to read is a pure luxury. However, I would strongly recommend this book, not as one to cozy up with on your end-of-summer vacation, but as an excellent reference to all things green in your home and for your child. This book is packed with useful information on topics ranging from green cleaning products to heathy food (both for your child and our environment), gardens, toys, clean air and water, pets and even positive activism (even if just within your own family.) I found that this book is better than many others available on these topics because it serves as a true reference with many additional resources and websites listed. Also, unlike many other "green living" books, this one focuses beyond the basics of raising an eco-healthy baby (cloth diapers, organic baby food and FSC certified wood toys) and encourages building a healthy, environmentally friendly community for your children in which they are active participants.

My other favorite eco-baby book is called The Complete Organic Pregnancy by Deirdre Dolan and Alexandra Zissu. It's lighter, easier reading and a great resource for those who are just awakening to the "green" lifestyle during a pregnancy. It's focus is more specifically on preparing your baby's first environment (starting with the health of the mother), but is none the less a good resource filled with additional resources and websites.

My main criticism of both of these books is that they are, well, books. Having participated in writing a textbook myself, I know how long the publication process can be. Reference books are often outdated before they are even published, and of course require paper and fossil fuels to produce. So, though there are hundreds of "green living and green baby" books out there, buy just these two. Then, go to the websites they suggest, and continue to read this blog and other green blogs for updated information on all things green rather than filling your shelves with out-of-date books that require valuable resources to produce.

I hope you're enjoying the summer green mamas!
Jessica

4 comments:

admin said...

Thanks for the recommendations. If I post any of these I'll be sure to link back to this article.

Unknown said...

PrintResponsibly.com launched their website today (Earth Day)...and they're offering free eco-friendly business cards for a limited time: http://www.printresponsibly.com/web/index.aspx?option=content&id=75

The Jacksons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Jacksons said...

I have 4 kids and I constantly try to find healthier choices for what they eat. I usually tend to go straight to the web for these things because they are the most up to date. I do happen to be a "paperback girl" though, so sometimes I like to have a regular book I can hold in my hands! I love all the info on your blog.
www.handmadesoapgossip.blogspot.com